Hong Kong Companies
Hong Kong Company Number
An Hong Kong Company Number is a unique seven-digit number issued by the Hong Kong Companies Registry to every company registered.
How to apply
You may submit applications for incorporation of local companies online at the 24-hour portal e-Registry or deliver the documents in hard copy form to the CR with the correct fees:
- Incorporation Form (Form NNC1 for company limited by shares)
- A copy of the company’s Articles of Association
- A Notice to Business Registration Office (IRBR1)
Online applications for company incorporation and business registration can normally be processed within one hour. If you deliver your application in hard copy form, the Certificate of Incorporation and Business Registration Certificate will normally be issued within four working days.
Type of Companies
There are 4 different types of businesses that can be registered:
- Ltd (Limited/有限公司): may denote either a private or public company limited by shares, or a company limited by guarantee. Under the Companies Ordinance, the name of a Hong Kong incorporated company may be registered in English, Chinese, or both.
- Unltd or Ultd (Unlimited/無限公司) : similar to a limited liability company (Ltd) but whose members or shareholders do not benefit from limited liability should the company ever go into formal liquidation. It is not a requirement under company law to add or state the word or designation Unlimited (無限公司) or its abbreviations (Unltd or Ultd) at the ending of its legal company name, and most unlimited companies do not.
- Branch Office of Parent Company : If a company incorporated outside Hong Kong establishes a place of business in Hong Kong, it must register with the Companies Registry as a ‘Registered Non-Hong Kong Company’ within one month of establishment. Unlike a subsidiary limited company, a branch office is not a separate legal entity from the parent and can leverage funds off the credit rating of its owner.